I spent the morning finishing off a few components for a theme for my Caddieclix product. This is the fourth theme that I have done for the product. The idea is that organisations can select one of these themes for their websites and it will apply the theme’s look and feel to their own website, much like the way themes do for other content management systems.

This morning I was finishing off the fourth theme, but along the way, I felt that I got my intentions for the third and the fourth theme crossed over. It wasn’t until I took whole page screenshots of each of the themes and looked at them as images sized to my screen when I started to see where I was inconsistent in the layout of some of the themes. I could also see where I had applied the wrong styling for each of the components in the third and fourth themes.

In the last few months, I’ve been working at close range with each of these themes. I’ve been getting each of the components right for each theme and then moved onto the next one. I haven’t really taken a step back and seen if all the parts of each theme work together.

With these screenshots of each theme, though, I can see where I need to make changes to improve each theme and where I haven’t applied each theme’s styling consistently.

In the future, I’ve added a task to my theme review process so that I capture a whole web page screenshot of each theme. I’ll use this screenshot to ensure that each theme is adhering to its own design guidelines.